Author Sara Paretsky at the 2008 Banned Books Week Read-Out!
During a gorgeous afternoon this past Saturday, over a thousand Chicagoans and visitors saw a wonderful event.
The ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom, the McCormick Freedom Museum, and the Chicago Tribune hosted another Banned Books Week Read-Out! in Pioneer Plaza on Michigan Avenue’s “Magnificent Mile.” Among the all-star authors in attendance:
- Lauren Myracle, author of TTYL;
- Ron Koertge, author of The Brimstone Journals and The Arizona Kid;
- Stephen Chbosky, author of The Perks of Being a Wallflower;
- Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell, co-authors of And Tango Makes Three;
- Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, author of the Alice series;
- Lois Lowry, author of The Giver; and
- Judy Blume, author of Forever and Blubber (and Are you There God? It’s Me, Margaret and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and …)
These heroes were there to talk about what it feels like to be a banned/challenged author, read from their own banned/challenged work, and sign copies of their (free) books, provided courtesy of their publishers.
Local Chicago celebrities were also in attendence, including Achy Obejas, Luis Alberto Urrea, Ilene Cooper, Dawn Turner Trice, Mary Schmich, Sara Paretsky and Eric Zorn.
Also, check out this great interview with Judy Blume in advance of the event.