Lawyers for Libraries/LA date changed to February 27
The date for next month’s “Lawyers for Libraries” Training Institute in Los Angeles has been moved to February 27, 2009. The previously announced date was February 20.
To register for the Lawyers for Libraries training, or for additional information, visit www.ala.org/lawyers or contact Jonathan Kelley at (800) 545-2433 x4226 or email@example.com. The cost to attend is $395 for one and $745 for two people attending together (e.g. an attorney with his or her library director).
The Lawyers for Libraries Institute is primarily intended to equip attorneys with tools they need to effectively defend the First Amendment in libraries. Participants will be instructed by practicing attorneys specializing in First Amendment law and will be eligible for continuing legal education (CLE) credits for their participation.
Among the topics to be covered during the institute are:
- Privacy, law enforcement requests for records, and the USA PATRIOT Act
- Public forum analysis and libraries, including developing meeting room and display case policies
- Internet filtering and the ongoing repercussions of the Supreme Court’s CIPA decision
- How to respond to attempts to censor books and other library materials
In addition, a panel of librarians will discuss their real-world experiences with creating and enforcing library policies.
Lawyers for Libraries workshops are open to licensed, practicing attorneys retained to represent or advise libraries on legal issues. Library trustees or board members who are responsible for establishing library policy may also attend. Librarians may attend if they are accompanied by a library attorney.
The training is from 9 a.m. — 5 p.m. at the Westin Los Angeles Airport, 5400 West Century Blvd. Lodging is available at the hotel at just $139 per night.
- To reserve by phone, call (310) 216-5858 and reserve using group code: Lawyers for Libraries.
- To reserve online, go to ALA’s special online room reservation page.
The discounted rate is good for stays three days prior to and three days after the institute. Reservations must be made by February 5, 2009, to receive the discounted rate.