The Office for Intellectual Freedom sponsors IFAction, an email list for those who would like updated information on news affecting intellectual freedom, censorship, privacy, access to information, and more. Click here to subscribe to this list. For an archive of all list postings since 1996, visit the IF Action archive. Below is a sample of articles from September 21 — September 27, 2014.
Filtering, Censorship, Whistle blowing, Free Press, and Free Speech Articles
- Why Gay Characters Matter
- Challenges to books at Inland schools stir debate
- Banned Books By The Numbers (INFOGRAPHICS)
- Arizona Could Send You to Prison for Sharing Nude Celebrity Pictures
- Schooling the Supreme Court on Rap Music
Access, the Digital Divide, Net Neutrality, and Intellectual Property Protection Articles
- ‘Piracy’ That Creates Amazing New Music
- Connecting All Schools and Libraries — Learning from State Strategies and Data
- World Wide Web inventor slams Internet fast lanes: ‘It’s bribery.’
- Digital Education: One Giant Leap for Students – and Teachers Too?
- Academic Skills on Web Are Tied to Income Level
Privacy, Surveillance, Hacking, and Cybersecurity Articles
- Google and Apple Won’t Unlock Your Phone, But a Court Can Make You Do It
- We know the password system is broken. So what’s next?
- Collaborative Approaches for Medical Device and Healthcare Cybersecurity; Public Workshop; Request for Comments
- Lawmakers seek new powers for privacy board
- Facebook’s Fine Print Includes Permission to Track